Useful tips for anyone planning a trip to Syria.
It’s no big secret, and you probably already know since you’re here reading this, that Syria is quite a unique and exciting place to visit. I honestly can’t think of any other place on earth that has the same eccentric blend of culture, heritage and history. I’ve also never heard of anyone who has visited Syria and come away disappointed, it’s guaranteed to be a trip to remember.
But before you set off on your exciting adventure, you should be properly prepared for it. There are certain things you should do, and several things you should know. Fortunately, that’s what this guide is for, so read on and if remember if you have any questions or need any advise, you can either contact us , or post at the forum.
Getting started – What you should know if you want to visit Syria
First of all, start off by acquainting yourself with Syria and learning about it. Find out what the country is like, where it’s situated, what the climate’s like, what language is spoken there…
Here are a few pointers to get you started:
- start with the basics: Syria – General Information, facts and figures
- then read the Frequently asked questions about Syria
- research the places of interest in Syria. If you’re traveling as part of a tour group, then it helps to get acquainted with all the exciting places you’ll be visiting during your trip. If you’re going it alone, then it’s absolutely essential that you do your homework in order to plan your trip properly.
- Read up on the History of Syria, and get to know what Syrian society and culture are like
- Familiarize yourself with a few useful commonly used Arabic words and phrases
Preparing for your trip – The essentials
If you’re traveling as part of a tour group, then most of the preparation is already done for you. You don’t have to worry about things like visas, transportation, accommodation or itineraries. If on the other hand, you’re an adventurous soul who is going it alone, or perhaps you’re a backpacker or a student on a budget, then proper preparation and planning may mean the difference between an unforgettable journey of a life time, or a miserable trip!
Have no fear, we’re here to help you with your planning and offer you advise and tips, take these for starters:
- In order to enter Syria, you need to obtain a valid visa. Click here for Syrian visa information.
- Get the contact details and telephone number of your embassy in Syria, and have them on you at all times. In case of an emergency, they are the ones you should contact first. Click here for a list of embassies in Syria. Remember, if you don’t find your country’s embassy on that list, contact your foreign ministry and ask them for information.
- Try to set up a timetable and prioritize the most important places you want to visit into a schedule. Plan in advance where you want to go, and how long you want to stay there. This is especially important if your stay is short, there is so much to see and do that you you can easily get sidetracked and run out of time. Generally Damascus, Aleppo and the major historic attractions should be on the top of your list.
- Sort out your accommodation. If you’re traveling during the high season or in summer, you should make reservations and book in advance. Here is a list of all the hotels in Syria with addresses and phone numbers, but remember that some out of the way sites might not have any hotels close by, in which case you will have to stay at the nearest major city.